Wednesday 21 January 2015

Taking a Line for a Ride

Notes from a sketchbook                               R.Allen-Sherwood 2015

Last year I became re-interested in another subject I studied during my art school days at university. I am talking about the concept of motion or movement. The drawing above is one of the very first studies I made whilst riding on a bus.

Yorkshire Train Ride                                  R Allen-Sherwood 2015

I never really developed the idea until much later. This second drawing above was done ten years after the first one! Using sumi ink and brush, I completed the drawing whilst travelling on a train this time.


This personal investigation into movement continued in fits and spurts in the background whilst I carried on with other things in life. But it was always there, like some distant memory of a song in the back of your mind. A song you can't remember the name of but can't stop humming the melody........ I continued making motion works but always found the results unsatisfactory,

Sands of Time                                                      R Allen-SHerwood 2015

Then I tried using a camera. It works better, but I still feel there still a ways to go before the idea, inspiration and execution can marry into one happy union that goes skipping off into the sunset..

Am I fussy? Yeah. Motion matters to me because it's an important component in my never-ending search into the meaning of space.

Motion defines space. I will dedicate more time this year towards this because I honestly feel that Motion & Space are flip sides of the same spinning coin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment