Wednesday 25 November 2015

Moh-shuh n

Hip-hop Chronicles: Locking / New York            R Allen-Sherwood 2015

Motion: the action or process of moving or being moved. 
 These images are from a continuing work-in-progress-series that began in 2010 when I encountered my first live break-dancing and I've been an avid fan ever since..

    motion is
    gesture 
    stream
    agitation
    fluctuation
    move
    sweep 
    act

Hip-hop Chronicles: Osaka Sync 2            R Allen-Sherwood 2015

For me, freestyle breaking can express powerfully raw and pure forms of movement. Especially when b-boys and b-girls are battling to protect their reputations or turf. That choreographed stuff you see on TV completely misses the mark.
  motion is  
dynamics 
kinetics
    body English
    full swing

Hip-hop Chronicles: #1           R Allen-Sherwood 2010
That's the first drawing of a breakdancer made in my sketchbook on  Nov 2010.  I wanted to say there's a big difference between this drawing and the more recent works shown in this post....but now I see that there really isn't.....

Oddly, I find that quite encouraging..

No comments:

Post a Comment